The Coming Animal Pandemic

June 30, 2009 by
Filed under Trail Boss Articles

The Coming Animal Pandemic

By Steven L. Doran

Some of you may find this article disturbing. However my prediction is that in the near future we will experience a re-play of the problems experienced from the  mid 70’s until early 80’s only worse.  It is something no one wants to hear but needs to be addressed.

When I  entered the Marin Corps the economy in the area where I lived was a mess, job losses were at an all time high and people began literally walking away from their homes and leaving the key in the front door. This trend continued  until the mid 80’s .

During this time of turmoil people began letting their pets go in large numbers assuming that some kindly old farmer or person would take the dog or cat in and it would live happily ever after.

Private animal shelters closed and the administrators who swore to serve and defend the animal kingdom walked away leaving the animals behind locked in cages for the local municipalities to deal with.  The dogs that were turned loose began packing up, and became diseased and vicious. The cats turned feral and dangerous and began to breed at alarming rates, destroying wild life habitat like game birds and vacant property.

On a side note just to show you how much damage cats can do, when I took over as chief of police in a community in 2002 the feral cat population there was still out of control and these cats were responsible for hundred of thousands of dollars worth of damage.

Because of the animal problem, local governments began destroying animals in large numbers. Police officers and  citizens began dispatching other abandoned animals that were not able to be  caught by animal control.  These animals were destroying their property, injuring or killing their live stock or posed a threat to them or their family members. That was also when the campaign started to have pet owner spay and neuter their animals.  Sadly this will not stop the problem not being able to reproduce does not stop diseases or aggression.

In the near future the  problem will get worse and it is already happening.  People are walking away from their homes and leaving their animals behind.

Animal organizations donations are down and soon they will no longer be able to keep up with the demand and will close. So they too will walk away and stop providing services leaving the problem to the local population again.

In the late 70’s and 80’s it was very unusual for persons to own more than one house pet. Today it s not uncommon for singular individuals to own several house pets of all types. This means that there will be more animals released that need to be cared for which will increase the problem and the stress on the system and make the 80’s look tame in comparison.

Those dogs, cats and other animals that persons consider to be their children now, once released will go back to their roots.  Fluffy will turn into Kujo and become a major threat to human, livestock and wildlife health. and safety.

Copyright © 2009 by Steven L. Doran All rights reserved under international and Pan-American copyright conventions. No part of this article may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means without written permission from the author Steven L. Doran.

Comments

8 Comments on "The Coming Animal Pandemic"

1. Steele on Tue, 30th Jun 2009 11:29 AM

One thing people need to remember is that pets are not disposable. Just because they are an animal does not mean they can “survive” out in the “wild”/city on their own.

We live in an 600 apt complex across from a military base. During the last six months, more and more people are leaving their cats behind (not only outside, but also inside the apartment when they leave) when they leave.

We have been feeding the feral population here at our apartment complex for about two years. Two years ago, the feral population was probably around 12-15 cats. Today, there are nearly 80, if not more. Many were at one time someones pet, as they either are “friendly” or “friendly/cautious” cats.

We infact just recently had the apartment complex office bring us a kitten, a seven week old Siamese kitten, that was found by maintenance when kids were throwing a soccer ball at it. They brought him to us knowing we occassionaly take in some of the “left behind” kittens/younger cats (within one year, our inside only cats went from two to nine because of this, and we do have a permit for it). The poor kitten had cat flu and conjunctivitis and was nearly dead from starvation. Now, nearly 10 weeks later, he has finally just recovered from his bad experience. We know this was someones kitten as it was too young to really be out on its own, its ears were clean, its claws were clean, and it knew what a litter box was, along with a dish of water and the layout of the apartment.

Recently on the other side of town, in a newer development consisting of completed homes and nearly completed homes, construction stopped, in addition to many of the completed homes being foreclosed on. In a field nearby a huge cat colony was found. Animal Control went out and captured nearly 300 cats, and put them all to sleep on the spot.

When you take on a pet, you have a responsibility to that animal to feed it, shelter it, give it attention and care for it medically if needed. And it is your responsibility to get said pet spayed/neutered and their rabies shot at a minimum. If you can’t afford that responsibility, then you should not have a pet of any kind. Again, just because kitty or pooch is an animal that does not mean pets are disposable. Humans are animals, would you abandon your children if you lost your home or had to move? So why do it to cats, dogs, etc.?

2. John Broekhuizen on Tue, 30th Jun 2009 3:04 PM

I appreciate your comments. But I do disagree with you humans are not animals and they do take priority over animals every time. A lot of the the current problems in the US like the farms drying up is because we have lost sight of that fact that those farmers, their families, the people they employ and the thousands that they feed are way more important than those stupid silver fish and the other creatures we have destroyed peoples lives over. We have spent countless tax dollars that should have went to other areas instead of caring for animals that should have been destroyed. Funding gets cut to programs that feed our children and elderly. But we sill feed and provide medical care for stray animals. To me it is a disgrace that anyone would put an animal over a human but you are welcome to your opinion.

Although I think it is irresponsible for persons to abandoned pets and make them someone else problem. If it comes to caring for a human or an animal I can assure you that the animal will loose and can understand someone who has children or a loved one opting for that loved one over any pet.

3. Steele on Tue, 30th Jun 2009 7:57 PM

Im not going to get into a Socialist vs Conservative discussion here.

If parents cant take care of their children, cant feed them, but continue to have them, needing to live off welfare and food stamps, then they shouldn’t have children in the first place. Thats what birth control is for. Taking responsibilty for you own body. Just like pets, children are a responsibility. But getting that free check and food stamps for more than emergency purposes seems to be their priority.

As for choosing animals over children, nowhere in my posts did I say such a statement. Pets that you welcome into your family and life, should be treated as family, and not as just a disposable animal.

As for stray animals, well if people would get their animals spayed or neutered, and if they chose to abandon their pet or said animal accidentally escapes, then that animal would not increase the stray pet population. This is why there are mass neuter/spay programs that include rabies shots. Some are reduced cost programs for pet owners, others are no cost programs for feral populations. Domesticated pets and wild silver fish are not the same thing. You are comparing a epidemic of abandoned pets versus a wild creature that is becoming endangered because of human effect.

Humans are animals. We are called mammals. Mammals are part of the animal kingdom. And sometimes, as you know from your prior career, people act like animals. ;)

As for wasteful countless tax dollars being used where they shouldn’t? Welcome to reality, that’s been going on for over 50 years. Hello, my name is reality. I don’t think we have met.

4. John Broekhuizen on Wed, 1st Jul 2009 3:29 PM

First of all this is and never was a conservative verses socialist discussion, I am extremely conservative yet I still put people first, also because some scientist categorizes me or other human being as an animal does not make it so. I do not belive that I came from an single cell organism that crawled out of a cesspool. I believe I was created, and other can believe however they like, I do not try to change their mind and I can assure you they will not change mine.

As far as persons having children to be on the payroll and people behaving like animals I can not agree more.

You are right I have seen things in my past profession I wish I could forget. I can assure I live with the reality of that every day and it keeps me grounded and on course more than most.

5. Domestic Dogs Kill Elderly couple while taking a walk | ShilohTV on Tue, 18th Aug 2009 8:51 AM

[...] predicted this would start happening  in the article the Coming Animal Pandemic Article.  I can not stress this enough. Use caution with all animals if they are not your own.  If you [...]

6. John Broekhuizen on Tue, 18th Aug 2009 8:54 AM

Domestic Dogs Kill Married couple while taking a walk

I predicted this would start happening in the article the Coming Animal Pandemic Article. I can not stress this enough. Use caution with all animals if they are not your own. If you are taking a walk always have something even a stick to fend off an attack. A former University of Georgia professor and his wife found dead along the highway Saturday morning were apparently killed by wild dogs, according to the state medical examiner.

Lothar Karl Schweder, 77, who had taught German at the university, and his wife, Sherry Schweder, 65, who worked at the university’s main library, were found on a road where they often walked their own dogs, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

The couple were found by visiting Jehovah’s Witness members.After an autopsy Monday morning, Oglethorpe County Coroner James Mathews told the University of Georgia student newspaper, The Red & Black, that a dog attack was to blame.

“It was the results of a brutal dog attack,” Mathews said. “Without being graphic there were bites from head to toe… There are a lot of weird circumstances with this one. I’ve been coroner for 28 years, and this is one of the weirdest cases I’ve investigated.”

The state Bureau of Investigation responded to a call about the bodies around 10 a.m. Saturday morning.Oglethorpe County animal control officials were out Monday looking for the dogs in the area, along Highway 77, near Highway 78.

7. Ed on Thu, 24th Sep 2009 10:35 AM

Animal hoarding is a serious problem. Following is an extreme cases from the Washington Post in which I was on the incident team. The case cited in the article hazardous materials and Type III confined space response. Methane accumulations in the structure were at the LEL, requiring positive pressure ventilation, and cutting off electric powder to reduce the fire hazard before hazmat investigators and animal control officers could enter the house. Video feed from the fire investigator’s helmet as viewed from our command post resembled a bad rerun from The X-Files as over 100 sets of eyes looked back at him in the dark as his headlamp was turned on, punctuated by cat spits and howls.

8. Dog pack has killed about 100 animals | ShilohTV on Fri, 10th Jun 2011 11:02 AM

[...] article I wrote The Coming Animal Pandemic is coming to pass and has been since I penned it a couple of years agao.  SPOKANE, Wash. [...]

Tell us what you're thinking...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!

You must be logged in to post a comment.